Consuming a low-carb diet is one good way to maintain a healthy weight and can also help you lose some if you’re overweight.
Finding the right recipes for low-carb meals can be a bit tricky, especially when you don’t know what food contains how much carbs. This article makes it all easy for you. Check out some of the best low-carb breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals and how to prepare them. The good news is that they are all simple to prepare and are very delicious.
Low-Carb Breakfast Recipes
Oatmeal with Yoghurt
This one is the simplest to make and will only take a few minutes of your time.
• 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking rolled oats
• 2 tablespoons of low-fat Greek yogurt
• 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
• Prepare and cook the oats as directed on the package.
• Top with yogurt and marmalade.
Poached Eggs with Tomatoes and Mushrooms
Easy to make and simply delicious.
• 8 large eggs
• 1 pound assorted mushrooms, sliced
• 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into rounds
• 1 tablespoon olive oil and another teaspoon
• A tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
• 4 slices bread, toasted
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
• Salt and pepper
• 2 teaspoons white vinegar
• Add the vinegar to a large deep skillet filled with 3 inches of water and bring to bare simmer
• Meanwhile in another skillet, heat the 1 teaspoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes, and season with ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
• Cook until tender (about 2 minutes on both sides) and transfer to a plate
• Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet and heat over medium heat. Then add the mushrooms, thyme, ½ tablespoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring gently until tender and golden brown.
• Meanwhile, crack 4 of the 8 eggs in separate custard cups, then slide each one of the gently into the water in the deep skillet. Cook for about 2 to 3minutes till the yolks become slightly runny, remove with a slotted spoon. Do the same with the remaining eggs.
• Divide into equal portions, then top the bread slices with the tomatoes, eggs, mushrooms, Parmesan, and ¼ salt and pepper. Sprinkle with chives.
Mini Breakfast Meatloaves
• 4 peeled hard boiled eggs
• 1 pound ground pork
• ½ pound ground beef
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
• 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
• 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped sage leaves
• ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• ½ teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 raw egg
• Heat olive oil over medium heat, add onion and sauté until soft and tender
• In a large bowl, mix the onions with the ground meat, raw eggs, fennel seeds, thyme, sage, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and black pepper.
• Separate the mix into 4 equal portions, the roll each portion into a ball and flatten the mixture into a large thin patty.
• Set the hardboiled eggs in the middle, then fold the mix over the egg and mold it to ensure the egg is completely hidden.
• Bake the meatloaves (uncovered) for about 35 minutes.
• Remove from oven and slice.
• Serve with ketchup or some bacon on the side.
Low-Carb Lunch & Dinner Recipes
Chicken, Beetroot & Broccoli Salad with Avocado Pesto
The dish is not only delicious, but it’s also packed with great ingredients to boost your health.
• 3 skinless chicken breasts
• 250g thin-stemmed broccoli
• 2 raw beetroots
• 1 red onion
• 100g bag watercress
• 1 teaspoon nigella seeds
• 2 teaspoons rapeseed oil
For the Avocado Pesto you’ll Need:
• 1 ripe avocado
• 25g walnut halves
• ½ garlic clove, crushed
• 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
• Small pack basil
• Juice and zest 1 lemon
• Add the broccoli in a large pan of boiling water and cook for about 2 minutes. Drain and refresh them with cold water
• Heat a griddle pan, add the rapeseed oil, and toss the broccoli. Griddle for about 2-3 minutes. Set aside to cool
• Brush Chicken with the remaining oil and season.
• Griddle for about 3-4 minutes , leave to cool, then shred or slice into chunky pieces
For the Avocado Pesto
• Scoop the flesh from the avocado and add to the food processor with walnuts, garlic, oil, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2-3 tbsp cold water, and seasoning.
• Pour the remaining lemon juice over the onions and leave for a few minutes.
• Then, place the watercress onto a large platter and toss the broccoli and onions.
• Top with the chicken and beetroot.
• Scatter basil leaves, nigella seeds, and the lemon zest
• Then serve with the avocado pesto
Steamed Fish and Pak Choi Parcels
Packed with proteins and low in carbs.
• 4 plaice whitefish fillets
• 2 Pak Choi, thickly sliced
• 4 spring onions, shredded
• 3cm ginger, cut into thin slices
• 1 red chili pepper
• 1 tsp sesame oil
• 2 tbsp soy sauce
• Heat oven to 200C
• Place each fish fillet on a large foil, then top with spring onions, pak choi, ginger, and chili. Fold up the foils.
• Mid lime juice, soy sauce, and 1 tbsp water. Sprinkle the mixture over each fillet. Enclose the fish properly.
• Place the foils on a baking sheet and bake for 10-14 minutes.
• Open the foils and drizzle fish with sesame oil.
• Serve with hot rice
Braised Balsamic Chicken
• 6 Chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
• 1 onion, thinly sliced
• 1 teaspoon garlic salt
• 1 can diced tomatoes
• 1 tsp dried oregano
• 1 tsp dried basil
• ½ tsp dried thyme
• 1 tsp dried rosemary
• ½ cup balsamic vinegar
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• Ground black pepper to taste
• Season both sides of the chicken breasts with pepper and garlic salt
• Heat olive oil over medium heat and cook the seasoned chicken breasts until brown. Add the onion and cook till brown
• Pour the diced tomatoes and balsamic vinegar over the chicken, then season with thyme, basil, oregano, and rosemary.
• Simmer for about 15 minutes till the juices run clear
As you can see, a low-carb diet doesn’t have to be boring. With great recipes, you can make just any meal without any hassles. Furthermore, these low-carb meals are fulfilling and low in calories. You should actually incorporate them into your diet especially if you’re trying to shed some excess weight.